Skip to main content

tv   Liberally Stephanie Miller  Current  August 13, 2012 6:00am-9:00am PDT

6:00 am
[ ♪ theme ♪ ] >> stephanie: all right. ready, everybody? dada dada. here he comes! >> that was addam's family. [ buzzer ] >> okay. >> stephanie: it is eddie munster time. >> we're singing the addam's family theme. >> this doesn't have the snap. >> stephanie: i need jacki schechner to help me out here! [ laughter ] we're this weird combination of high school best friends and adult political geeks because we were texting each other during the announcement. it is the zombie-eyed starver.
6:01 am
>> in the most geeky way possible. >> stephanie: you're like oh, my god there goes florida. we were speculating on whether he was sleeping or dead. >> they had a whole panel of men and they cut away to them one by one and they come to james carvel and he's like -- >> stephanie: sleeping or dead. we won't know until they go to him. jacki's healthcare corner right off the top of the show. great medicare stuff to get into with the zombie-eyed granny starver. >> it is like a basket of gift news. as we all know now, mitt romney has picked congressman paul ryan to be his running mate. both republicans and democrats are rushing to get the word out about what we know about paul ryan. the right, of course, trying to paint him as an economic policy expert focused on fiscal responsibility. >> we know the principles that built this country and we're going to reapply the principles and get this country right on
6:02 am
the backtrack and leave our kid's a better future. >> the details of ryan's budget plan are easy to find and one of the largest drastic cuts to medicare and medicaid. we'll talk about that momentarily. also ryan's tax proposals would benefit men like mitt romney and stop the -- they figured out under ryan's tax proposals, mitt romney would pay less than 1% in taxes. it is not nothing but it is close. romney says the two will run on his economic plans not paul ryan's but frankly that would entail mitt romney actually having economic plans of his own. romney and ryan have been together all weekend. today, appeal that is right ways. mitt romney is going to go to florida by himself. the obama campaign countering that by interviewing seniors about what they know about ryan's plan. >> those kind of cuts are going to be incredibly painful to the working class person and because we're going to be the ones that are going to be paying for it. >> ryan won't be in florida until saturday. he's in iowa today.
6:03 am
that's also where president obama will be kicking off a three-day tour. back with more after the break. stay with us. >>oh really? >>tax cuts don't create jobs. the golden years as the conservatives call them, we had the highest tax rates, and the highest amount of growth, and the highest amount of jobs. those are facts. >>"if you ever raise taxes on the rich, you're going to destroy our economy." not true! double miles you can "actually" use. but with those single mile travel cards... [ bridesmaid ] blacked out... but i'm a bridesmaid. oh! "x" marks the spot she'll never sit. but i bought a dress! a toast... ...to the capital one venture card. fly any airline, any flight, anytime. double miles you can actually use. what a coincidence?
6:04 am
what's in your wallet? [ all screaming ] watch the elbows ladies.
6:05 am
6:06 am
[ ♪ theme music ♪ ] >> announcer: ladies and gentlemen, it's "the stephanie miller show." ♪ i'm walkin' on sunshine ♪ ♪ i'm walkin' on sunshine ♪ ♪ and it's time to feel good ♪ ♪ hey, all right now ♪ ♪ and it's time to feel good ♪ >> stephanie: it is "the stephanie miller show." welcome to it. 6 minutes after the hour. 1-800-steph-12 to join the party. and it is a par-tay today. here we go. in honor of eddie munster. i thought we were doing the bit here. >> do the bit here. >> hi, everybody.
6:07 am
>> eddie, you've become a man. ♪ he chose eddie munster to be hisses v.p. running mate ♪ ♪ he wants to take medicare and blow it up ♪ [ explosion ] ♪ that should go over well in florida ♪ [ applause ] >> stephanie: thank you rocky mountain mike. rocky mountain mike did three bits today. >> we'll play them all. >> stephanie: we don't know if it is better news for comedy or democrats. who can say. let's bring in my bff from the current news center, jacki schechner. >> good morning. >> stephanie: we're such like high school best friends as i was saying and political geeks altogether. david bender in my bed with me saturday morning as he wants to be. we're watching -- jacki and i are texting furiously having a
6:08 am
political geek explosion. we're like omg omg! [ explosion ] >> nobody else is up this early to talk about this stuff with me. >> stephanie: geek out. bender will be on later in the show to talk about the politics of it. he was getting his gay on. he was like it is a good-looking ticket. jacki and i are like blah! >> they're not joe lieberman. they're good-looking. so you know. >> stephanie: what did you say, jacki? you don't care about the total lack of morals? >> if you're just look at the aesthetics a little character morality -- >> some people do, unfortunately. some people do. >> you know when you meet somebody and oh, he's really hot and oh no, he's a jerk. he's not hot anymore. >> stephanie is that way about sean hannity. >> stephanie: don't speak.
6:09 am
just don't speak. just be pretty. >> unhot zips right out of them. >> stephanie: where do we start? jacki, you sent me -- michael tomasky's piece on romney's stunningly terrible pick of a v.p. it is the hail mary. it is the suck up to the right wing. >> it's gotta be. i do think it is stunning to pick someone who has such a strong position on issues when you yourself don't. i mean in the absence of mitt romney standing for anything solid, i mean he's so willing to waiver on everything that to then pick somebody who has such a strong opinion you can't then turn away and say we don't back that. it is a very strange choice to do an interview and say we're going to run on my policies and not his but you don't have.
6:10 am
>> stephanie: he's trying to not -- i love the headline today. g.o.p. seeks to distinguish romney from ryan budget. oh really? the one you said is marvelous? they're literally going to try to flip-flop on that. have romney go i'm sort of for it. >> i don't know what the counter plan is. if he had a strong economic plan of his own, we could say this is what his principles are. when you say i kind of like this guy and yet i don't have anything of my own, i gotta go with the fact you like that guy. >> stephanie: paul ryan really? it is a stunning choice. a terrible one too. he hasn't the remotest fleeing desire. he's owned by the right wing. first in politics, you go so he's given up on the moderates and the independents and maybe florida and anywhere else there's older people? >> i don't get it. and to be honest with you, i don't think the polls are showing that people know a heck of a lot about ryan to begin with. so when the media went crazy
6:11 am
about how big the crowds are and everybody's excited. well, yeah people stop and stare at a car crash but it doesn't mean it reinvigorates them. they're not excited now about mitt romney because paul ryan is on the ticket. it is something to do on a weekend because the guy running for president's in your area. i really don't think people are like yes ryan! >> stephanie: let's get started filling them in on paul ryan. >> where should we start? >> stephanie: where should we start? here's paul ryan fun facts. for instance, you know how romney says obama isn't qualified to be president because he's had no private sector experience? well paul ryan drove the freakin' oscar mayer wiener mobile. that's his private sector experience. >> in other words, he peddled baloney. >> stephanie: exactly. >> pius baloney. >> stephanie: yeah. >> he was prom king. does that qualify? >> stephanie: biggest brown noser. >> he was nominated biggest brown noser.
6:12 am
>> stephanie: that's how he got on the v.p. ticket. mitt you're the most exciting, compelling candidate we've ever had. all right. so where do we get started here? that's enough for now. biggest brown noser wiener mobile whatever. first of all jacki when you talk about the politics of it, i don't know if you remember the kathy race up in upstate new york where i'm from, she didn't have a prayer. i'm from there. that's such a solidly republican seat. she won because paul ryan's budget plan because 80% of the people when he came out with it said yeah, we don't so much like the idea of gutting medicare. >> could you get rid of medicare and you guys pay no taxes at all. yes, i'm in! >> medicare is very, very popular. and i don't understand why you would take something that is incredibly popular and talk about gutting it. i mean from what i understand, what i read about the ryan budget, he wants more defense spending but total obliteration of social programs and you're going to go in and say okay,
6:13 am
let's get rid of the healthcare safety net for seniors? >> stephanie: to steal a line from newt gingrich, it is almost right wing social engineering. >> ya think? i read something interesting that apparently -- there's the two arguments to this. first is paul ryan's father, grandfather and great grandfather didn't live past 60. he doesn't have a lot of personal experience with having to take care of someone over 65 in his family. and what that means to have to ration medication or think about long-term care or any of those needs from a personal perspective. somebody was arguing yesterday yes, but he's got constituents in wisconsin and i said yes but if those -- if that's his plan, the constituents are going to him for help. but he's not hearing the stories. if he is, they're falling on deaf ears because he's not working for seniors. >> stephanie: again, that's only one race. the upstate new york race.
6:14 am
this is -- most of us, a lot of us have parents i do, for instance -- >> in charlotte. >> stephanie: yes. but seriously this is not something that is, you know, sort of politically hard to understand, is it, jack? this is really -- to replace it with a voucher program, talk to us about how that would work. >> oh, this is really quite excellent. the idea is we're going to give you -- this is what gets complicated but at the same time it is fascinating. so the idea that john mccain had when he ran for president and wanted to run on healthcare was to give you vouchers to shop among the private health insurance market but the amount of money to get for the vouchers -- >> stephanie: awesome because my mom doesn't know how to operate a phone answering machine. >> the amount of money won't keep up with the exploding cost of healthcare in this country. but the money is not going to actually be -- it is like one of those 20% off bed bath & beyond coupons. >> don't knock those coupons.
6:15 am
i hoard those! >> they're fabulous. >> stephanie: right but overtime they're going to be worth less and less though? eventually they'll be worthless. >> they don't keep up. the voucher program, i mean it just doesn't make any sense. why would you change -- if you're going to try to cutspending, you have to cut overall healthcare costs and that would be keeping you know, insurance companies and medical providers from charging exorbitant prices for things. the way to go about it is not cutting access to healthcare for seniors. you would gut the doughnut hole wide open again. there's everything that's been done to protect seniors as their healthcare costs rise would be dismantled under ryan's plan. what he's going around saying is nothing's going to change for seniors, anyone over 55 is safe. well, that's all well and good. what you're planning on doing is ruining it for everybody else down the line. it just doesn't make any sense. we've -- in our entire history
6:16 am
tried to rationalize how something like this might work and we've seen it with medicare advantage plans. we overpay medicare advantage plans. last was 14%. >> stephanie: we've already tried this. >> it doesn't work. medicare is much more efficient and much more cost-effective than any of these private plans. >> stephanie: i brought this up on howard kurtz yesterday george bush tried this with social security. think what would have happened if we had privatized social security. not only is it hugely politically unpopular it has already been roundly objected, hasn't it? >> it has been. it doesn't work from a policy perspective, politically it doesn't make any sense and i don't understand if you want to talk about getting the economy back on track, then creating jobs, i'm not sure how gutting social programs gets us there. it is not the answer. >> stephanie: because they say crisis. remember during the social security debate, they would say crisis. [ screaming ]
6:17 am
if you listen to bernie sanders it is like no, we're not. we don't need to gut it. or privatize it. we're not in a crisis. >> no. it does. medicare is so cost-effective compared to any private insurance program. the doctors i've worked with, it pays less but it is not that it is underpaying. it is that the private insurance plans when they do pay are overpaying compared to what people are getting through medicare. and doctors i've worked with throughout this healthcare fight like medicare because it actually pays. it is a much more efficient program for doctors. >> stephanie: talk to us for a second about medicaid though. it is going to totally gut medicaid as well. >> from medicaid, the way it works now is the federal government helps to manage the state medicaid programs and what they want to do is give a block grant to the states and let them manage the money on their own. it would end up gutting that program and the states wouldn't end up using it toward care for people who need it the most. it is not a -- it is not going
6:18 am
to be well-organized from the state level. npr is taking a really good look at that today how this would gut medicaid. it is the nation's biggest health insurance program. it covers people with limited incomes. it is not mostly like poor people, the way you might think. it is people with disabilities. it does take care of older folks. it is a really important social program and it is not going to be able to survive if they take the money out the way it is managed now and give it just in the block grants to states. >> stephanie: being our healthcare expert, say we have a president romney -- [ screaming ] and vice president ryan and they take away not only our healthcare, what else? our contraception. could you use a voucher to fashion it into a homemade condom or something? >> the sponge. >> stephanie: would it take care of a gushing head wound for instance? >> i think the voucher band-aid. there would be a market in that. i don't know what the plan is. i really don't know how it is that you would be able to -- i
6:19 am
love when politicians end up going after any sort of government assisted medical program because they're all on it. they all get subsidized healthcare. we as taxpayers subsidize their healthcare. so you know, to go ahead and attack something that essentially -- not the same program but it is something we pay for. >> stephanie: can you call mama schechner in florida and let us know if they've already lost florida. >> you know what? she's on vacation at the moment. >> stephanie: oh! there goes our on-the-ground reporter in florida. >> i would have loved to have taken a poffle her canasta table. >> she's on vacation. when she discovers paul ryan has been chosen. we'll call in and get the on-the-ground report. >> stephanie: mama made us a cobbler. tell her to send us a baked good. >> you should fedex the cobbler over here. >> the cobbler is really good.
6:20 am
>> stephanie: jacki schechner healthcare geek, we'll talk to you at the top of the hour, honey. [ applause ] >> maybe we should ask what sid pflegerman things. >> stephanie: and sadie his lovely wife. 20 minutes after the hour. right back on "the stephanie miller show." >> well, i guess that makes our naughty parts tingle. >> announcer: this is "the stephanie miller show."
6:21 am
hey joe? yeah? is this a bad time? no, i can talk. great -- it's the 9th inning and your hair still looks amazing. well, it starts with a healthy scalp. that's why i use head and shoulders for men. they're four shampoos for game-winning scalp protection and great looking hair... go on, please.
6:22 am
with seven benefits in every bottle, head and shoulders for men washes out flakes, itch and dryness. and washes in... confidence. yeah it does. [ male announcer ] up to 100% flake free scalp and hair with head & shoulders for men.
6:23 am
[ music ] >> announcer: stephanie miller >> hello. >> hi. it's system. -- >> i went to the doctor today. >> she got a voucher to stop the bleeding. >> stephanie: your gushing head wound. ove your femoral artery. 1-800-steph-12. >> i went to the doctor today.
6:24 am
he said you're screwed! >> stephanie: all right. wow! rocky mountain mike on fire. >> mitt romney has filled out his ticket and drawn the battle lines for campaign 2012. presidential nominee has named paul ryan to be his running mate. ♪ this one goes out ♪ >> this morning in virginia, the kickoff to a swing state bus tour. ♪ this one goes out from the one who's a horse's behind ♪ ♪ this one comes out from the one-term gov ♪ >> sets up an entire battleship wisconsin and on to the national stage. >> yeah! [ applause ]
6:25 am
>> stephanie: rocky mountain mike on fire. >> this announcement was made in my hometown of norfolk virginia. norfolk, virginia, has a very large of a can american -- african-american population. 31.5% to be exact. i saw two. >> stephanie: that's weird. >> two african-americans in the audience. >> stephanie: that's just weird. [ ♪ "jeopardy" theme ♪ ] >> they were probably sailors. >> stephanie: who said congressman paul ryan is best known as a budget so radical "the new york times" called it the most extreme plan passed in modern times. with his support, he would slash the investments we need to keep our economy growing while cutting taxes to the very top. >> fitzpatrick. >> stephanie: jim messina. he's the obama campaign manager. [ applause ] >> you know who butch patrick is right? >> stephanie: yes! he's eddie munster. >> pugsley. >> stephanie: bill in jersey with some ryan fun facts. hello, bill in jersey.
6:26 am
>> caller: hello. yes, hi. sorry about that. yes with ryan, no one knows he's only passed two pieces of legislation in 14 years. >> stephanie: what were they? >> caller: taxes on arrows for archery and the other was naming a post office. >> stephanie: very good. the entire legislative achievements of paul ryan. >> really? >> stephanie: there's him with some -- poor dead animal. >> wait a minute. so he passed taxes onseses -- >> stephanie: one renamed a post post office in his district and the other bill changed the way arrows are an excise tax. >> so they're not taxed. >> stephanie: his bill amended the i.r.s. to impose a 39 cent tax on a per arrow shaft instead of a 12.4% tax. >> so he raised taxes. >> stephanie: on arrow shafts. >> so he's a tax raiser. >> stephanie: he's an arrow
6:27 am
tax hiker. >> i don't think that will go over well with his base. >> stephanie: a tax on shafts. [ wah wah ] that's it? that's his entire legislative -- >> he's been in the house for how long? a really long time. >> stephanie: he's a bow hunter. there is a picture of him -- also jim here's another fun fact. he likes to strangle catfish to death by hand. >> great. >> he goes mud catting. >> stephanie: it is called intoeling where you truly -- it is called intoeling. noodling. >> it is more fun that way. more suffering involved. [ applause ] >> stephanie: that's what he would do to your grandmother. [ ♪ dramatic ♪ ] >> catfish pretty much tastes like mud anyway. >> you can fry it and put a nice crispy batter on it. >> stephanie: so i'm on -- reliable sources on cnn. >> you were on howard kurtz
6:28 am
yesterday. >> stephanie: he brings up my dad and flashes the pictures of my dad and goldwater because my dad was also a seven-term congressman. oh, just a minute now! [ ♪ dramatic ♪ ] oh, he was a congressman. a lot of people didn't know, too. okay, first of all he served in world war ii, he was a prosecutor in the nurenberg trials, he was chairman of the rnc. he was qualified. paul ryan -- even bush administration officials are saying he's not qualified on foreign policy experience. every barometer they use against barack obama, excuse me! what's his foreign policy? he's been to kenosha? >> it is almost canada. >> neither one of them have foreign policy experience and that scares me a lot. at least biden had tons. >> stephanie: that will be a debate. >> oh, yeah. >> stephanie: okay. 29 minutes after the hour. rude pundit next on "the stephanie miller show." to some degree won the spin
6:29 am
>> this court has proven to be the knowing, delighted accomplice in the billionaires' purchase of our nation. >> and you think it doesn't affect you? think again.
6:30 am
6:31 am
6:32 am
6:33 am
[ ♪ music ♪ ] >> announcer: stephanie miller. >> relax. >> listen to me. i sound like cagney & lacey but without the slutty clothes. >> stephanie: it is "the stephanie miller show." welcome to it. 1-800-steph-12 the phone number. [ ♪ "jeopardy" theme ♪ ] jim, who said it is what this choice says about romney that is most interesting. romney had to accept privately and internally the arguments one hears he's a white guy who excites no one and he had to accept the reality of flip-flopping on issues hasn't koshered himself up with the right. who said that? >> rafalca? >> mike tomasky. one more. if romney sacrificed florida he's lost the election already and why in to placate a party
6:34 am
who doesn't want him? it is psycho weird but at least it will carry the benefit to keep conservatives from griping because their ticket was too moderate. s who said that? >> marco rubio. >> stephanie: no. one of the many bitter nominees not chosen. did you see exorcist on bobby jindal. the vice president doesn't matter. >> i wouldn't take it. >> stephanie: stupid job. i think he already knew. he was like it doesn't matter anyway. >> vice president. that's like volcano monitoring. >> romney picked ryan on the 10th. he's been holding it this close. >> stephanie: how did the mitt app work for anybody? you didn't get the news first. you got it confirmed first. useless app. [ wah wah ] >> now you're on their mailing list forever. >> stephanie: that's what it was for just to gather
6:35 am
information. >> absolutely. >> stephanie: he's lost what's left of -- old white people which is the only section of populous that was vaguely -- and his supporters who are pissed now. >> now you gave them all of your smart phone information so he can track your every move via gps. >> what ya thinking? let's get rude's view. ♪ >> stephanie: good morning papa. >> good morning. >> stephanie: it is a great big juicy eddie munster target. >> i see glover from back to the future. i see him saying i'm your density. >> you can kick. you keep your damn hands off of her, biff.
6:36 am
>> willard. >> he killed people in that one. with his rats. >> console his medicare plan. >> stephanie: rudeness, where do you start with paul ryan in this pick? what was your first take on it? my first take was wow, i guess romney wanted people to stop talking about his taxes and bain for awhile. and then this will do it. honestly i thought weren't we already running against ryan? because ryan budget was sort of a blue print for many of the things conservatives want. >> stephanie: i think the white house couldn't be more thrilled because they've been trying to tie him to the ryan budget. perfect! you picked him. no way! [ applause ] because you know, they're trying to distance him already from the ryan budget. how do you do that? >> the other thing is it creates almost literally white noise as far as vice presidential picks. it is not one of the things
6:37 am
where you sit there in a palin situation and go whoa! that makes me question why i ever might have trusted john mccain. >> stephanie: but it is the same. to me, it is another version of a hail mary. it is same thing. it is a suck up to the right wing. this is what's happened more broadly to the republican party. it is a palin-like pick in that sense. >> there is rationale in that he's picking youth as opposed to picking the elder statesperson but i think it is actually kind of disappointing. i wanted him to go out there with a jindal or a condy rice not that she would have touched a romney nomination with a 10-foot pole but you know, it is sort of like oh really, the white guy picked -- the old white guy picked a young white guy so he can suck some of his youth off him. >> stephanie: we'll talk to bender later. i think he went who is he behind with women? oh, you did not just dan quayle
6:38 am
me. we're not that stupid. like oh, look at his blue eyes. i don't care. >> you're not that stupid but republican women are that stupid. >> stephanie: really? rude seriously. >> is this going to make anybody vote for romney who wasn't going to? were there going to be conservatives who were going to stay home and go i don't want romney because he picked chris christie for a running mate. no. i don't know what this accomplishes other than to, for a little while change the narrative. >> stephanie: and you alluded to that, rude. that's what i'm hearing too, he was going to do this closer to the convention but that he had to distract from this tax issue and bain. as you said -- and -- and from his dropping polls. >> stephanie: he doesn't give a happy monkey [ bleep ] harry reid is lying when someone told him mitt romney paid no income tax for a decade? you think the offshore accounts,
6:39 am
capital gains tax rates didn't give him a tax burden of too [ bleep ] at best, reid was slightly exaggerating. and now, he would pay zero. >> didn't romney say that at some point? because the ryan budget eliminates all capital gains taxes where romney gets his income. >> stephanie: see you like me are a fighting democrat. what's good about the mother [ bleep ] is good for the mother [ bleep ] gander. how does it feel about your candidate's smug refusal to release information. it is a thing of beauty. >> it is. this is operating sort of on a rhetorical level the same as the swift vote attacks on john kerry. he was saying they're so absurd nobody would believe that. release your records. release your records.
6:40 am
and when they finally did, it was too late. >> stephanie: you wrote this, the real reason romney is losing and will lose before the ryan pick but the ryan pick, i think further confirms this he did it because no one likes him even the right wing. this is trying to get his own base right? >> right. when the nomination race first started, i thought there is no way mitt romney will be nominated because he's such an unlikable douche. how can you sit there and as a member of a party and go yeah, you know that a-hole up here, that's my guy. >> stephanie: there's one overriding reason romney's candidacy was doomed, he's a completely unlikable [ bleep ] in the world he existed in before running for president they can feel for [ bleep ] that might be how cutthroat investment schemers work but romney is learning that people are not corporations. that's exactly it. >> because you know, he never had to -- rarely ever looked anybody in the eye of the
6:41 am
corporations that he -- that bain took over. he never had to look the workers in the eye and say you know, this is what we're doing. we're getting -- we're cutting this or we're gutting your company or transforming it. we're going to have to lose this many workers. he never had to do that. he simply had to do everything from a distance and it is a little different. >> stephanie: i'm giggling at your -- mitt romney is not only someone you would not want to have a beer with but given the right circumstances in the right bar, you would want to punch in the nose for being such a self-righteous [ bleep ] >> ever been in that situation. you're just sitting there at the bar and the guy next to you you're not even talking to him but you're just listening to him. that guy needs a punch in the nose! >> stephanie: i hate to say it it does sum it up perfectly. not only you would like to have a beer with him but smash him over the head. >> i'll bet that guy has never been punched in the nose in his life. it would ruin his night.
6:42 am
>> stephanie: how would you overcome that? you don't. the long answer is you need to have something that mitigates your innate [ bleep ] son of a politician who bullied his classmates at prep school while americans his age were bleeding out on rice paddies in vietnam spent two years living in a lovely mansion in france, it doesn't work. >> nixon was an unlikable guy but at least he came -- he really did sort of work his way out of a poor background and so people could at least relate on that level. >> stephanie: right. you say a secret source of rude pundit said they spoke to a punch of republican officials who are embar to support mitt romney. one can imagine the pain saying the giant [ bleep ] lead the nation. that's exactly what it is. does that mean he's given up? on moderates independents, swing states? i don't even get the strategy. >> yeah. i don't know what his closing
6:43 am
gam -- gam gambit is going to be. i don't get it. there's nothing here now that can appeal to anybody. beyond the conservative base. it is essentiallies running the primary strategy in the general and how has that ever worked out? >> stephanie: somebody said his slip about the next president of the united states was a freudian slip. they've already given up on this election. paul ryan 2016 i guess. >> it is also going to be a tea party election. again because now you've got the tea party vice presidential candidate and you've got all of these tea party candidates that have won primaries in the republican nomination process for the senate and house so this is what we get. this is the battle we get. >> stephanie: this could be -- as you just alluded to, i was talking about the one race. that's a solidly republican seat
6:44 am
that kathy local won in upstate new york because of the paul ryan budget. this not only resulted in mitt romney losing in a landslide but taking down -- this could give us back the house. >> keep nominating people like cruz and aiken and they go for the nutsoid right in the primaries. when everybody votes this is what happens. can i give you a fun tidbit about paul ryan? you that might -- that you might not have heard about. his money comes from his family business right? ryan incorporated which is a large -- it is an enormous construction company. base right now -- it is actually based in -- its headquarters is in florida. but here's from the company's web site. this is how paul ryan's family made its money. made its fortune. the ryan company's workload from 1910 until the rural interstate highway system was complete 60 years later was mostly highway
6:45 am
construction. >> stephanie: infrastructure? i thought that was gay and french. >> they got pretty much all of their money from the government. >> exactly! >> wow! that's awesome. [ applause ] >> stephanie: that's delightful. >> and by the way just to let you -- just to continue this, romney -- the ryan incorporated business continues to this day to get constant contracts from the government. a list of about 30 defense contracts going to ryan incorporated. >> i can't wait for obama to point that out. [ wah wah ] >> stephanie: is it possible he will have to drop out? rudeness, great stuff. see you next week, honey. >> rude pundit is at blogspot.com. >> maybe he can be vice president and president. >> stephanie: he's big enough for the job. maybe he can talk to his running mate mitt romney about how he saved the olympics with $6 million of government money. you didn't build that olympic
6:46 am
success. 46 minutes after the hour. right back on "the stephanie miller show." >> i think your show is absolutely vulgar. i think it is sad. we're trying to raise kids to be respectful. there's no way you're adding to it. >> announcer: it's "the stephanie miller show." >>tax cuts don't create jobs. the golden years as the conservatives call them, we had the highest tax rates, and the highest amount of growth, and the highest amount of jobs. those are facts. >>"if you ever raise taxes on the rich, you're going to destroy our economy." not true!
6:47 am
6:48 am
it's like chicken and crunchy stuff got married! i only use french's french fried onions on my crunchy onion chicken because it's america's number one brand. just minutes to make, then bake!
6:49 am
6:50 am
you've heard stephanie's views. >>no bs, authentic, the real thing. >>now, let's hear yours at the only online forum with a direct line to stephanie miller. >>the only thing that can save america now: current television. >>join the debate now. [ ♪ music ♪ ] >> announcer: stephanie miller. ♪ >> romney: he understands the fiscal challenges facing america.
6:51 am
our exploding deficits and crushing debt and the fiscal catastrophe that awaits us if we don't change course. >> stephanie: he knows about fiscal catastrophe. >> there the is a sound of a truck backing up in the background. did you hear that? >> stephanie: was that chris christie? >> he was going for political joke. you went for a fat joke. >> stephanie: highbrow, lowbrow, unibrow. wow! [ ♪ "world news tonight" ♪ ] >> maybe it was the wiener mobile backing up. >> stephanie: he drove an oscar plier -- an oscar mayer ween irmobile. my dad assistant prosecutor at nurenberg. a little different. he's not a job creator. >> he's never been a job creator in his entire career. according to mitt romney, that makes him ineligible to be president. chew on that. [ ♪ "world news tonight" ♪ ] >> stephanie: romney's campaign sought to put distance between the presidential
6:52 am
candidate and his new running mate. >> maybe the truck was creating distance. >> stephanie: really? ed gillespie senior advisor for romney said get this one. romney would have signed ryan's budget if it landed on his desk as president but as president romney would be putting forward his own budget. >> stephanie: different. >> so is he endorsing the ryan budget or is he not? >> stephanie: he's not taking a position as usual. david axelrod cast as a right wing who wants to convert medicare into a voucher plan and put the program to the elderly -- >> that sounds marvelous. >> stephanie: in talking points circulated to republicans, it would applaud ryan but he has his own plan for cutting the deficit. >> okay. supersede. >> stephanie: he's for it but not really for the rest of you. >> he put forth his own budget but you can't see it right now. >> no, the taxes or the budget.
6:53 am
>> stephanie: a majority of voters have no opinion of the congressman nearly 40% have never heard of them and 40% weren't sure but let's fill in the gaps, shall we? >> more fun facts? >> stephanie: we'll be doing that as we roll along. there's so much, so little time, so many paul ryan fun facts. romney's embrace of ryan could open the door for older voters? really? that's the one group romney had old white camp and now he's found a way to piss off the last remaining carbon-based life form that had any affinity for him whatsoever. older voters are saying in florida, ohio, pennsylvania, who, i don't know, it may not be popular plan to gut medicare. newt gingrich, as i recall referred to ryan's plan as right wing social engineering. we might want to use that. [ applause ] >> i'm sure the wiener mobile
6:54 am
will make an appearance in some ads. >> stephanie: time for the john and pam show. thank you. ♪ from ohio, it's the john and pam show ♪ ♪ it's the john and pam john and pam, john and pam show ♪ >> stephanie: good morning john and pam. >> good morning, mama. >> good morning, sweetheart. >> oh! >> are you a -- breath of fresh air. >> let me tell you. i got a lot of wind in my sail. >> stephanie: yeah, right? >> john is going first. >> stephanie: go ahead john. >> this was on the news net this morning after ryan was named with romney. all of a sudden ohio has jumped for romney and also in the republican overload areas here in ohio, the republicans are going to get extra hours to vote on their early voting and areas where it is heavily democratic,
6:55 am
they're keeping it. >> that's a coincidence. >> stephanie: i'm sure that's a complete mistake. >> here's pam. >> stephanie: oh hello pam. >> hi, darlin'. let me tell you! yesterday they had mittens on thes in a cash thing -- the nascar thing. he's up there just like his ole windbag self he is. he was up there talking about the medicare stuff. >> stephanie: uh-huh. >> he said he won't take anything away from us. he's so full of crap. there ain't a big enough shovel to shovel all of that. >> stephanie: are you guys going to sexy liberal on saturday? >> yes! >> stephanie: yea! only a couple of tickets left. go et it. >> you know what? you can't get -- stephanie we tried to get the meet and greet and all of that. the only way i could get them was off of ebay. >> stephanie: oh no. >> i said no. because they were scalping them.
6:56 am
>> stephanie: i know. >> we got seats up -- i think they're just a little ways up. but you know what? you'll know i'm there. >> stephanie: hang on. we'll hook you up for meet and greet because you're john and pam. >> oh, precious! >> you made her year! >> stephanie: i gotta grope john and pam. i have a three-way with them almost every week on the show. all right. jill in maryland real quick. welcome. >> caller: hey, steph. good to hear from you. >> stephanie: thank you. i'm glad that i called. >> caller: i didn't know actually it was even there but i love it because i am -- a liberal and i have so much to talk about. i'll try to keep it brief. >> stephanie: go ahead. >> caller: my thing is how long did these republicans know they were going to push to have ryan in there because of all of the voter suppression they're doing which will affect the elderly the minorities, the poor. >> stephanie: that's not a bad conspiracy theory.
6:57 am
we don't need to worry about pissing off old people about medicare because we won't let them vote anyway. >> caller: how do they get away with it? that bothers me so much. it has to be a governing thing. you can't do this but they do and they get away with it. >> stephanie: any of us that have parents or grandparents, you know it is not easy for them to do a lot of things by themselves. getting an i.d. for people who haven't had a driver's listens it is -- license, it is not that easy. particularly people who live in rural places. we have a show coming up. eric boehlert from media matters and right-wing world. we've got david bender coming up and representative henry waxman. much more as we continue on "the stephanie miller show." things that will about to collapse, before people get killed. i'm going to be on with the governor tomorrow night. she is awesome. we'll be right back on the "stephanie miller show."
6:58 am
v [ ♪ theme ♪ ] >> stephanie: hello current tv land. i have something to report to you. >> what? >> stephanie: jacki schechner's new apartment is adorable. >> oh, thank you! >> stephanie: current folk checked out her new apartment. however i'm bossy and i want all of the furniture moved around. this is not the right placement for any of this. >> she had this whole grand plan which makes it good i didn't let the unpacking people come over. she would have had a schematic. >> stephanie: i can also report her cat does live in the sink. >> especially when it is hot out. it is nice and cool in the sink. >> stephanie: i went to wash my hands you can't disturb the cat.
6:59 am
the cat did kiss me on the lips though. i'm just saying. >> my cat is a little bicurious. >> stephanie: just a little bit. all right. here she is. crazy cat lady healthcare geek newswoman extraordinary, jacki schechner. >> good morning, everybody. mitt romney is speaking in florida this morning. he's alone for the first time since announcing that paul ryan is his new running mate. here's romney trying to defend ryan's plan to gut medicare and make it a voucher program instead. >> he's come up with ideas that are very different than the president's. the president's idea for medicare was to cut it by $700 billion. [crowd booing] >> that's not the right answer. we want to make sure we preserve and protect medicare. >> that's actually not at all true. the president did not cut $760 billion from medicare. the cbo did a report to see what it would cost to see if we repealed the affordable care act. medicare would end up costing us
7:00 am
$716 billion more but they did not twist the numbers around the way that romney and ryan are doing. so basically we're saving $716 billion over the next ten years by doing things like not paying private health insurance companies for plans which are less efficient than the public plan as it stands now. also it will incentivize coordinated care and help seniors pay for things like preventive care and medications. that's where all of the savings come into play. when you hear that number, know it has been twisted. it is not actually the money that was cut from our current medicare program. other ryan jam you heard earlier in the hour which we think is worth mentioning again. he's been in office 13 years and passed two bills. one to rename a post office and the other was to change the tax on arrows. as in bows and arrows. but this is not for lack of effort by congressman ryan. "the washington post" said he sponsored 71 bills or amendments and cosponsored 971 over the 13
7:01 am
years. we're back with more steph after the break. outrage that they're doing this, this corruption based on corruption based on corruption. >>i think that's an understatement, eliot. u>> i'm not prone tot. understatement, so explain to me why that is. i think the mob learned from wall st., not vice versa.
7:02 am
of sununu, you're wrong. mitt romney, you're wrong. we need more teachers, not fewer teachers and more cops and more firefighters that support our
7:03 am
hey joe? yeah? is this a bad time? no, i can talk. great -- it's the 9th inning and your hair still looks amazing. well, it starts with a healthy scalp. that's why i use head and shoulders for men. they're four shampoos for game-winning scalp protection and great looking hair... go on, please. with seven benefits in every bottle, head and shoulders for men washes out flakes, itch and dryness. and washes in... confidence. yeah it does. [ male announcer ] up to 100% flake free scalp and hair with head & shoulders for men. so, you guys grew up together. yes, since third grade... what are you lookin' at? not looking at i anything... we're not good enough for you. must be supermodels? what do you model gloves? brad, eat a snickers. why? 'cause you get a little angry when you're hungry. better? [ male announcer ] you're not you when you're hungry™. better. [ male announcer ] snickers satisfies.
7:04 am
[ ♪ theme music ♪ ] >> announcer: ladies and >> announcer: ladies and gentlemen, it's "the stephanie miller show." ♪ i'm walkin' on sunshine ♪ ♪ i'm walkin' on sunshine ♪ ♪ and it's time to feel good ♪ ♪ hey, all right now ♪ ♪ and it's time to feel good ♪ >> stephanie: it is "the stephanie miller show." welcome to it. yippie. 6 minutes after the hour. 1-800-steph-12 toll free from anywhere. sexy liberal fun facts. this saturday in columbus. some scattered couple of seats may be available but it is -- it is going to be off-the-hook. columbus this saturday after the paul ryan -- new york city, october 27th down to four v.i.p. tickets and other big
7:05 am
politician asked for house seats. the place to be october 27th. >> politicos a go-go there. >> stephanie: seattle birthday extravaganza. seats are disappearing. >> no more v.i.p. but lots of other good seats. [ applause ] >> stephanie: all right. it gets betterrer and betterrer for comedy. doesn't it? ♪ ♪ the time is right for all your tears ♪ ♪ ryan should be easy to fight ♪
7:06 am
♪ no, no, no ♪ >> that song is from which band? >> jerry and the pacemakers. >> stephanie: here is a voucher for your pacemaker grandma! good luck! it is monday. eric boehlert from media matters for america doing the lord's work. >> announcer: eric boehlert. ♪ hurts so good ♪ >> stephanie: let's dive into the right-wing world. >> i don't know what that means. >> stephanie: eric boehlert, one of my favorite tweets. romney's pick shows ryan can do what he's told. that's for sure. >> what a weekend, huh? >> stephanie: right? and he also summed it up, the
7:07 am
running mate the right wing demanded. "wall street journal," fox news. >> did a great job pointing out this has been -- it was sort of ryan or else. we've talked about how fox news has been running this campaign and murdoch was running this campaign and romney is just sort of this vessel. you know, it used to be the right wing media or the opinion media supported or critiqued or you know, played a side role to the campaign. the party wasn't charged. we made a complete inverse here as to how the right wing media is in charge and romney tries to play catch up. yes, they're on the same page and -- but the thing i wrote about this morning sort of driving me crazy over the weekend was media talking point that was embraced by cnn and obviously on fox and "new york times" and other places that the arrival of ryan means the campaign is now going to become
7:08 am
substitute like barack obama hasn't been talking about tax cuts. hasn't been talking about healthcare. hasn't been talking about anything. the idea that you know, the idea that ryan will add some substance to the republican campaign is accurate. people have been pointing out romney has been allergic in terms of releasing anything in terms of policy details. but the idea that ryan is now going to change the campaign because democrats and obama haven't been talking about substance is a joke. >> stephanie: eric, i go the to say that yesterday to howard kurtz. this is what drives me crazy about the mainstream media. oh he's bold and courageous and he's serious. it is like no, it is a seriously awful plan! what's bold and courageous about gutting medicare? >> yeah, right. ryan has been heralded in the press for the last year or two. it started with the right wing and it has been adopted by the
7:09 am
mainstream. he's serious. okay, well maybe he wants to kill medicare but at least he has an idea, you know. >> stephanie: a really horrible one. >> it was pointed out nate silver pointed out, he is the most far right -- he was the most extreme candidate based on his voting record to be nominated for vice president left or right. can you imagine -- i don't know if there's anyone that far to the right who is in congress but can you imagine if he were -- selected for the vice-presidency? i guarantee you the words radical would be used constantly. left wing, et cetera. ryan cannot be described as right wing, cannot be described as radical. he's substantive. who was stopping -- that's the other thing that kills me. now we can cover this -- the campaign in a substantive way. now we can talk about who is stopping you since january? no one. you're the one who's decided to focus on trivia and process.
7:10 am
>> stephanie: as you pointed out, the announcement pegged for closer to convention but romney had to try to stop the bleeding after the nightmarish polling week. which followed the nightmarish foreign trip and whatever, right and the taxes and bain and all of that. >> yeah and not much talk about that -- not much talk about this might have been sort of a damage control move. look i think frankly not to be conspiratorial but if i had to say, i think the press got very nervous last week when they saw these polls. obama up 6 7 8 9 10 points that, means a lopsided, boring race. they just went through that in '08. they're desperate for a race that's marketable in the fall. >> stephanie: like you said, it is fox news pick. who was the republican that you know, admitted by accident, he said we used to think fox news worked for us. we work for them.
7:11 am
>> and rupert murdoch is on board with the ryan pick remember in july. he was sort of beating up -- he started beating up on the romney campaign which meant his "wall street journal" beat up on romney and fox news. it is all -- again i'm not making up -- it is not exaggeration. this is all being run out of 6th avenue where the news corp. headquarters in new york city. >> stephanie: let's dye in and get more. eric erickson, the man so nice they named him twice. >> the romney campaign has been listless. they haven't put on a big message. there were a lot of obama messages they weren't able to capitalize on. now all of a sudden you've got paul ryan. they set up a talking point you were not going to embrace paul ryan's plan. well, yeah you are. you're trying to pedal this with a -- peddle this with a straight face. it encapsulates what's been wrong with him this summer. i think this is the fight we need and to his credit, did he a
7:12 am
better job selling mitt romney and mitt romney has sold himself in the last three months. >> stephanie: now he's trying to do this dance eric, for the ryan budget but not really. >> back to the substance coverage by the press. oh, he's got this blueprint budget so therefore he's a serious person. he's going to elevate the campaign. you've got the romney aides saying by the way we won't run on his budget. if they won't run on ryan's budget, how is he going to elevate the debate? again, this is just -- it is really annoying because it seems to be transparent republican spin that was immediately embraced as the narrative about ryan. it falls apart because a one of the reasons romney won't embrace his ideas apparently. >> stephanie: romney told obama let's agree not to discuss my business record and tax returns. i'm running this on my business experience but let's not talk about that either. >> exactly. >> stephanie: fox news. >> what's the biggest problem with the perception of america? it is that the best days are
7:13 am
behind us. we were a great empire. no longer. all of the obama administration's going to do is manage the decline. with a romney/ryan ticket, it is like ragian again. [ scooby-doo's "huh?" ] if the united states is the only mature democracy in the world that can do that, it sets the world on a whole new direction. i think it is brilliant. >> the ragian administration created a whole new set of problems. trickle down has been a failure. >> you definitely heard the r word over the weekend. reagan. they tried to push this idea that romney is like reagan. i don't think they were buying it. they brought it out for they and other conservative pundits brought it out for ryan as well. we'll see you know. i seriously doubt that in a week we'll see that ryan -- you know, arrived as this charismatic figure that captured the nation's attention. the polling has shown vice presidents are probably good for one or two points total.
7:14 am
if you're lucky. so i doubt we'll see ryan leading any sort of reagan revolution soon. >> the romney ryan reagan revolution. >> stephanie: the r word that comes to mind is radical. >> or repulsive. >> stephanie: the main problem with our image around the world is mitt romney is a dufus and he ticks off every country on his trip and paul ryan has zero foreign policy experience. >> amazing. it is amazing. >> stephanie: all right. fox and friends saturday. >> mitt romney announcing this morning that seven-term congressman paul ryan hab will be tapped as mitt romney's running mate. he brings solid conservative credentials to the ticket. is this the pick romney teeds to establish momentum in the 2012 race? >> he's the rock star of american politician. in that he's a person that's been able to go toe to toe, head to head with president obama on
7:15 am
serious issues whether it is deficit reduction -- and he lost! >> he lost the argument going up against obama. [ laughter ] >> the rock star? well, we've talked about the right wing media bubble. i guess if you live inside that, 24 hours a day the polling has showed, i've seen, a majority don't even know who paul ryan is. brand new poll out this morning "usa today" gallup, only palin and dan quayle rated lower in terms of people thinking ryan would be qualified to become president in case of emergency. so -- i guess if you want to talk news all day -- >> stephanie: and he's -- >> same way that jerry marsden is a rock star. >> stephanie: the finish line with his sneakers tight together. >> so it is okay for paul ryan to be a rock star but not president obama? >> stephanie: no! >> that's a pejorative. >> gotcha. i understand completely now. >> stephanie: eric boehlert remains in the sidecar. we continue right-wing world
7:16 am
right after this. >> announcer: kid tested, john conyers approved. it is "the stephanie miller show."
7:17 am
7:18 am
ccm01306segment 10 2
7:19 am
7:20 am
7:21 am
7:22 am
7:23 am
7:24 am
7:25 am
7:26 am
7:27 am
7:28 am
7:29 am
7:30 am
7:31 am
7:32 am
7:33 am
7:34 am
7:35 am
7:36 am
7:37 am
7:38 am
7:39 am
7:40 am
7:41 am
7:42 am
7:43 am
7:44 am
7:45 am
7:46 am
7:47 am
7:48 am
7:49 am
7:50 am
7:51 am
7:52 am
7:53 am
7:54 am
7:55 am
7:56 am
♪ h healthcare geek jacki schechner so much has made me a healthcare geek. it has rubbed off on me. look at me. i'm looking at total health expenditures for a 65-year-old would be 50% higher. >> medicare just does it better. it is that simple. we save money with medicare. >> stephanie: according to the cbo, medicare would be cut 76% below its projected size. it is spectacularly awful idea. >> it is a horrible idea and it is shoveling more money into the private sector in terms of private health insurance companies and giving them an opportunity to make more money
7:57 am
and profit. it is extraordinarily bad and anybody who says we haven't already tried it, isn't paying attention because that what we've been doing is giving private insurance companies more money and allowing them to generate more profit. >> stephanie: if you're in the mainstream media, it is bold and refreshing! that's why we have a real newsperson in the current news center, jacki schechner news star. >> good morning. do you know that paul ryan is going to be on the ballot twice come november? he's the g.o.p. vice presidential selection but he's also up for re-election for his congressional seat in wisconsin. he reps the first congressional district and he's won it seven times. he's allowed to run because of a law that says you can be on the ballot twice if the second one is for president or vice president. his challenger is rob zurben. he's a democrat from kenosha former small businessman. he's been outraised so far by about $3 million but progressives are trying to up both his name recognition and his money haul since paul ryan
7:58 am
is now more on the national stage. progressives have raised about $75,000 since ryan was announced on saturday. restore our future is going up on the air with what cnn says is its largest ad buy so far. the pro romney super pac spent $11 million to attack the president on the economy. take a look. >> another month. even more americans jobless. if you have president obama's record, what would you do? >> the ad takes several comments out of context to make it seem like the president's being flippant or is in denial over unemployment. you'll hear the private sector doing it. we know who will moderate the presidential and vice presidential debates. it will be pbs's jim lehrer taking on the first one october 3rd in denver. we'll get candy crowley for the second one. bob schieffer from cbs for the third and martha will do the v.p. debate on october 11th. stay with us. we're back with more steph after the break.
7:59 am
i think the mob learned from wall st., not vice versa.
8:00 am
8:01 am
8:02 am
[ ♪ theme music ♪ ] >> announcer: ladies and gentlemen, it's "the stephanie >> announcer: ladies and gentlemen, it's "the stephanie miller show." ♪ i'm walkin' on sunshine ♪ ♪ i'm walkin' on sunshine ♪ ♪ and it's time to feel good ♪ ♪ hey, all right now ♪ ♪ and it's time to feel good ♪ >> stephanie: this is "the stephanie miller show." welcome to it. 6 minutes after the hour. 1-800-steph-12 the phone number. stephaniemiller.com. you can e-mail us all there. jim ward or me stephanie miller. [ ♪ "jeopardy" theme ♪ ] who said of paul ryan, he's an egghead who's never had a tough election with a number one already having problems connecting with voters the last thing we should pick a number two who is likely to have the same problem. who said that? >> dr. smith.
8:03 am
>> stephanie: no. [ ding ding ] some unnamed political strategist in the politico piece. >> who prefers to be anonymous. [ ♪ dramatic ♪ ] >> stephanie: oh my. all right. let's see. we get letters. dawn writes dear mama. just because we finished up the olympics. >> last night. >> stephanie: exactly. the government ultimately spent about $600 million helping to bail out the salt lake city olympics that mitt romney quote-unquote saved. >> they did not build that. >> stephanie: he's a -- she has a dressage update. not only did england come together. they won the gold medal in dressage. according to fox sports, rafalca finished 28 out of 50 horses. glue factory. even romney's horse is a loser. [ applause ] >> in france, it would be dinner. >> stephanie: some other fun facts before we go to our
8:04 am
friend david bender. joe in syracuse, we love you. we played sexy liberal there. >> oh, yes. >> stephanie: unwind the clock a little more than a year when in mama's hometown country representative chris lee you remember craig's list shirtless photo guy democrat kathy hokeel won the seat held by republicans for years. kathy is a great candidate and new yorkers do not want to destroy medicare. this election has a strong referendum on both. paul ryan's plan was enough to sway voters to vote democrat and just imagine the effect this will have nationwide. she quotes from the article in the "nation" magazine, shed not stand a chance to win. it backed mccain for president in the 2008 election and saw the rest of the state go to obama. democratic strategists in washington weren't taking hokeel seriously then came paul ryan. house budget plan contained a proposal to end medicare.
8:05 am
the american people rejected it. roughly 80% of americans thought ryan's approach was wrong. they favor cutting the -- voters told ryan and others at town hall meetings, yes, they did! joe in syracuse, what a fun editorial fun pack. ♪ return to sender ♪ >> stephanie: david bender, our buddy our pal. >> this means a lot, doesn't it, bender? >> yeah, david bender. >> stephanie: ever since he got rutherford b. hayes elected. good morning bender. >> when you said you wanted to have me on to talk about ryan, i assume you mean ryan seacrest and the brilliant job he did with the spice girls reunion. [ ♪ "world news tonight" ♪ ] >> stephanie: that was the big story. the spice girls got together.
8:06 am
>> if the spice girls can get back together then romney and ryan, it is cumbaya now. >> maybe she was talking about the new twitter account paul ryan gosling. >> i like that. >> it is hysterical. >> paul ryan o'neal. we've got so many possibilities and so little time. >> stephanie: bender, you know me. i kiss and tell and i explained being in bed with you as you normally are in my bed with me saturday morning getting the news. watching the romney ryan. >> it is enough to fall out of bed actually. the one thing we did not have because of the olympics, we didn't have david gregory on "meet the press" which was preempted this weekend. >> it was on at like 5:00 or 6:00. here is a little known fact in my rutherford b. hayes file card cabinet i pulled out. turns out that paul ryan -- we know that david gregory
8:07 am
famously did his frog dance on stage with karl rove. paul ryan and david gregory used to play pick up basketball together in college. so can't you just wait for that? you think we're getting full disclosure of my good buddy my basketball friend paul ryan? david gregory? think we're going to hear that? >> stephanie: we're in our mainstream media honeymoon phase. >> honeymoon. we love paul ryan. and look, it is absolutely true. despite what we would like to say that paul ryan is the most reactionary candidate since i don't know, sarah palin the truth is he's not sarah palin. he's not dan quayle. he's not a joke and as a californian, i remember watching this same thing play out with ronald reagan. everybody said bring him on. jimmy carter will beat him like
8:08 am
a drum. look at his plans. everything that's come out of reagan's mouth. if you listed them and people did, they polled disastrously. nobody agreed with ronald reagan's policies. but they liked him. which made him an effective candidate. that's who i think paul ryan is. we underestimate him. >> stephanie: reading one piece in here though, on a broader scale democratic officials said his pick marks abandonment to reach out to moderates and independents. obviously you've talk about this that this was a suck up to the far right. >> it will consolidate the base. we saw what happened in 2010. if 2010 was and an omly and the tea party election that swept in republicans all across the board was just a fluke because turnout was low and seniors voted heavily and this is different than i agree. then this is a mistake because you know, they absolutely do need that 8% of voters, the
8:09 am
number is as small as it has ever been at this point going into a general election. most people have made up their minds. it is a very small pool. but the fact is that paul ryan is not going to run as the reactionary that he is. by the way that's better than radical. he's a reactionary. he wants to turn the clock back 100 years. but he's not going to run that way. he's going to run and watch it. and actually happened yesterday. i will save medicare. that's what -- >> stephanie: that's what you said to me saturday morning. you said i'm scared about how much money they have to make paul ryan the savior of medicare. >> they take -- it is again karl rove. take your greatest strength of the opponent and go after it. they did that with john kerry in swift voting. take the greatest weakness of your own candidate that he wants to kill medicare and say he's the savior of medicare. if your meg ga phone is bigger, if you can shout louder, it is a
8:10 am
problem. >> we have to burn the village in order to save it. >> i have the napalm right here. >> stephanie: you've heard people say he's lost florida. don't you think this is obviously going to -- >> florida with 30% of the electorate in the medicare range, it is going to be a tough sell but again depends on how much money gets poured in. remember what we're looking at. we're looking at commercials that will start to run after labor day. 60-day window to tell a lot of lies. and we haven't seen the koch brothers money. we haven't seen karl rove's money. when that expenditure goes out in force to florida north carolina virginia, now wisconsin which is in play, ten electoral votes that haven't gone for republican since walter mondale lost to ronald reagan. wisconsin is a part of the democratic strategy and it is now in play. >> stephanie: david saturday you said to me which is you know made me splat -- you said
8:11 am
what are they missing? what is he missing the women's vote. paul ryan will -- okay, granted i'm a gay but it didn't work with dan quayle. i think it is insulting to him particularly someone who wants to take away choice, take away your mother's medicare. >> that means something to republican women. it may not mean anything to you but it does mean something to republican women. they're that shallow. >> if image didn't matter, they wouldn't pick pretty candidates. they would pick chris christie. they would pick -- the truth is that -- >> stephanie: you were getting your gay on a little. it is a good-looking ticket. >> it is true. you have to know it was true in the reverse. sarah palin who didn't have a brain in her head, had a body that got people's attention. >> stephanie: but they lost in a landslide fyi. >> because she opened her mouth. >> stephanie: paul ryan is
8:12 am
just as radical and hail mary a choice. >> he can string together a sentence without barfing on himself. >> even the president can see he's likable. he's genial. he is nonconfrontational. he is not dan quayle. he can spell potato. he is not sarah palin. he's read a lot of books. >> stephanie: wait. let me go to this quickly though. you probably heard about the former bush state department official who said this. >> this is an unfortunate pick is that paul ryan has a thin record on foreign affairs which is a key criteria. of course, if you're going to be supporting the man who will be commander in chief paul ryan has said relatively little about foreign affairs and when he has it generally is brought back to his port foal joy as head of the finance committee. what we don't have from either the top or bottom of the ticket is a clear message on how these people will see the world and react to world events when i get into the white house if they do. >> stephanie: how does he pass the ready to be commander in chief test? >> he chose barack obama.
8:13 am
frankly, that's a good defense. he gets to say i've had more experience in dealing with funding the military and my budget strengthens the military while the president does not. and you know, he was a state senator. i've been in congress for seven terms. that's what he does. we took it off the table for the president. they will take it off the table for ryan. >> stephanie: but my point is that every point they've tried to make about obama private sector experience, at least -- by the way obama had worked with richard lugar on securing loose united center, not renaming a post office. paul ryan's only legislative accomplishment. >> wives not named after richard -- which was not named after richard lugar. is noodling something where after you strangle the catfish you tie it to the top of your car? >> stephanie: someone said it is fish firsting. >> i'm not sure you can say that on the air.
8:14 am
>> stephanie: probably not. david bender, you saw me with howard kurtz. he brought up my dad who was -- basically, i get it. he was on obscure seven-term congressman, too. of course my response was yes but he served in world war ii, he was an assistant prosecutor at nurenberg, chairman of the republican national committee. paul ryan is none of those things. >> here is the real comparison that was not made and let me point this out. there have been two sitting members of the house who have run for vice president. your dad and then john nance garner, an old dear friend of mine in 1932 who ran and won with lbj -- with fdr. >> stephanie: you were only 40 then. >> i was only 40. looked 39. both of them had the courage -- and this is what i want to call out, mr. bravery, mr. paul ryan, mr. young gun. if he's really so confident about what he's doing let him stand down and not run for
8:15 am
re-election in wisconsin. let him not run -- he's legally able to, sure. but if he's going to bet on himself, let him say you know what? i'm in all the way on this ticket. let some other republican -- i'm not going to have to resign if i win. i'm not going to run for re-election. he's not doing that. he's hedging his bets. i think we ought to call him out on that. that's a guy who's keeping an extra bullet. >> stephanie: mitt romney says he has no ambition at all. only saving the country. >> right. >> no delusions of grandma. >> stephanie: thank you bender. love you. >> bye. >> stephanie: there he goes, the bendy. we have representative henry waxman coming up at the bottom of the hour. with a little something about budgets. right back on "the stephanie miller show." >> damn it jim you made me snarf on my keyboard again. it's "the stephanie miller show." lysol - the number one pediatrician recommended brand.
8:16 am
lysol. mission for health.
8:17 am
8:18 am
cucurrenttvcurrenttv
8:19 am
8:20 am
8:21 am
8:22 am
8:23 am
8:24 am
8:25 am
8:26 am
8:27 am
8:28 am
8:29 am
8:30 am
8:31 am
8:32 am
8:33 am
8:34 am
8:35 am
8:36 am
8:37 am
8:38 am
8:39 am
8:40 am
8:41 am
8:42 am
8:43 am
8:44 am
8:45 am
8:46 am
8:47 am
8:48 am
8:49 am
8:50 am
8:51 am
8:52 am
8:53 am
8:54 am
8:55 am
8:56 am
8:57 am
8:58 am
8:59 am

98 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on